Total time 45min
- Place the spinach in a large saucepan or stockpot with 1/2 cup (125 ml) water. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the leaves are wilted, about 4-5 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and let cool.
- Press or squeeze out the excess water from the spinach and finely chop. Set aside in a medium bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat the Silk with the bay leaf to just before boiling and set aside.
- In another saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and sauté the minced shallots for 2-3 minutes to soften. Sift in the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, over medium heat until the flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Slowly whisk in the warm Silk and return the saucepan to the heat.
- Bring sauce to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer, whisking often to prevent lumps. Cook for 6-8 minutes until it reaches the consistency of thick cream.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Mix in the spinach. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.