Total time 1h 45min
Braided Flatbread with roasted tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 180. Then, activate the yeast: in a small bowl, mix together the sugar, warm water and yeast. Leave for around 10 minutes – when it looks foamy, the yeast is activated and it’s ready to use.
- Now for the dough. On a flat surface, make a little heap of the flour. Make a well in the middle and add the yeast mixture, Silk coconut yogurt alternative, salt, garlic and a drizzle of oil. Bring it all together and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it’s sticky and glossy. Pop into a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave it for around an hour in a warm place to rise – it should be double the size. (In a gently warmed oven or near the heater is ideal.)
- Create your plaits. Divide the dough into 4 pieces. On a floured surface shape each one into a ball then roll out into a round “pizza“ shape, about 20 cm across. Spread a tablespoon of pesto evenly over each round then roll it up tightly. With a sharp knife, slice lengthwise down the middle of each “sausage“. Braid the two sections together, trying to keep the cut side on top.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a baking tray lined with baking paper, spacing out well, wrap a dough plait around each tomato and pinch the ends together to form a wreath. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the bread is light golden brown. Use a slice to slide onto plates, serve warm with a little extra pesto on the side if you like.