Total time 55min
MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH VEGETABLES
- Heat the oil and add the grated parsnips and onions, then cook over a low to medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often. Take care not to let it burn, although it needs to be slightly crispy as it will be sprinkled over the finished dish.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Five minutes before the pasta is ready add in the frozen peas/sweetcorn and continue to cook.
- To make the sauce; melt the butter or margarine in a medium saucepan and add the flour and half the milk and bring to the boil stirring all the time with a small whisk to prevent lumps, gradually adding the remaining milk. Allow the sauce to boil for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the mustard and 75g of the grated cheese.
- Drain the cooked pasta and peas/sweetcorn and pour into a large serving dish (approx.30 x22cm) and stir through the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining 50g cheese and the parsnip and onion topping before serving. Delicious served with cooked broccoli or a green salad